Playing with trash
There's been lots of creativity going on indoors with Wickham Works this winter. Pulling supplies from our stash of donated materials at the Makers Lab, just waiting to be repurposed, we've done some magic weaving, and bead making. And now we're experimenting with all those bubble-wrap mailers we've been accumulating. Nothing like free art supplies to get the creative juices flowing. Join us for one of our workshops. They're fun and free. Check out our events on FB.
at the Warwick Valley Community Center
11 Hamilton Ave., Warwick, NY
WINTER/SPRING EVENTS 2020
Open Door Makers Lab: Every Tuesday, starting March 3rd, 6-8PM. 10 and under with adult. Free.
Puppetry Workshop. Six weeks, starting Wednesday, March 4th, 4-6pm. Ages Elementary-Middle school. Kids learn to create puppets out of recycled materials, develop stories and sets, and perform their puppet shows at this year’s Earth Fest Warwick Register at firstname.lastname@example.org. This is a fundraiser for Earth Feast. The suggested donation is $120. (Does not meet during spring break, April 7th.)
Movie & Making: Fri. March 6TH, 4-7PM, The Secret of Kells: A young boy in medieval Ireland, under siege from barbarian raids, finds adventure when a master illuminator arrives with an ancient book, brimming with secret wisdom and powers. $5 each.
Carnival Puppet Workshop, Sat. March 14th, 22nd,11am-1pm. Adults & teens. Work with local artists to create large-scale puppets for Earth Fest. Free
Swap Shop, Sun., March 22nd, 2-4pm. Donate your used & loved books, clothes, art supplies – items may be dropped off the day before March 21, 11am-1pm, or brought to the event. Fill a bag of goodies. $10/bag. Fundraiser for Earth Fest.
Earth Fest Warwick, Sun. April 26TH, 12-5PM, Stanley Deming Park. Including Too Good To Toss, free community swap, and Puppet Carnival. Free
SAVE THE DATE –
OCNY Pride, Sunday, June 14th, 10am-5pm
Battle Candle, Saturday, August 1st, 11-7PM
Haunted House, Fri. 23rd, Sat. 24th , Sun. 25th October.
Love Local Market, Fri. 27th, Sat. 28th, Nov.
More info :
FB: WickhamWorks IG: WickhamWorksMakerSpace WickhamWorks.org email@example.com
With the help of a stellar cast of 60+ performers, makeup artists, set builders, and amazing set designer, Karen Decher, the Warwick Community Center was transformed into a truly creepy Haunted House show. Thank you to all who participated, and all who came out to support the event! - Melissa Shaw-Smith.
Celebration of Pride 2019
The OCNY Pride festival hosted by the Warwick Valley Community Center and Safe Space America welcomed over 500 individuals proud to support the LGBTQ community. The crowd came from all over the Hudson Valley and was made up of a diverse population from families with young kids to teens and their allies, and seniors. Grand Marshall Tom Roberts, a veteran of the Stonewall riots in New York city 50 years ago, recalled when being gay was illegal.
Marchers joined together to make buttons and flags, dress up, paint their faces, munch on rainbow bagels and get in the spirit of the parade. They were joined by representatives from the Warwick Prevention Coalition, Safe Space America, Kingston LGBTQ Community Center, the Warwick and New Milford high school Gay Straight Alliance, Safe Homes of Orange County, Family Central, League of Women Voters of Orange County/O.C. Get Out the Vote, Planned Parenthood Mid-Hudson Valley PPMHV,
Legal Services of the Hudson Valley, and Warwick Democratic Committee.
Following the parade, Acting Out Playhouse entertained the crowd with show tunes, and was followed by the Pride Drag Show.
Photos by Olivia O'Connor
• The Village and Town of Warwick
• The Albert Wisner Public Library
• Sustainable Warwick
• Branded 845 Marketing & Devine Design
• Track 7 Postal Center
• Lowland Farm
• State Farm Insurance Agent, Anish Anand, 40 1/2 Main Street, Warwick
• Retro Modern Antiques
• Glen P. and Susan D. Dickes
• Warwick Village Dental, Robert J. Perri D.D.S.
• Cko Kickboxing, Warwick
• Free Spirit Nature Camp
• Owen V. McShane D.D.S. Family Dentistry
• Down 2 Earth Market, Florida, NY
• Earth Angels Studios, Florida, NY
• Fischer's Auto Body
• Chosun Yoga & Taekwondo Academy
• Warwick Thai Restaurant
• Rooster Tees
• Newhards the Home Source
Treecycle at Earth Fest has been made possible in part by
- The County of Orange and Orange County Tourism
- The Orange County Arts Council’s Community Arts Grant Program
Check them out at: Petty Young Dylans
Greenwood Lake Guitar Underground Music
The Moving Company Modern Dance Center
Lulu Acoustic Duo, Laura Wurtser, Joe Mulhaupt
Arm of the Sea Theater
Please help us paint the town Green for Earth Fest Warwick 2019
We would like to invite you to be a sponsor for the very popular Treecycle at Earth Fest Warwick, a hands-on, family friendly arts day using repurposed material, now in its 4th year. For sponsorship levels and rewards see below. Sponsorship Form
On May 4th and 5th, Stanley Deming Park will be transformed to celebrate Warwick’s commitment to re-use, repair, and re-creation. Produced by local non-profit Wickham Works, we’re expecting over 1000 folks to participate in honoring Warwick’s leadership as a sustainable community.
Treecycle takes place on Saturday, May 4, 10AM-5PM. Folks of all ages have a chance to get inspired by tree sculptures made from salvaged household items, meet the artists, and do some creative re-purposing themselves. Participants pick up practical tips to reduce their environmental footprint while having fun. Local artists, youth groups, and makers are busily working on tree sculptures, up-cycled craft demonstrations, a Kids Take-Apart table, Build-a-Bot station, Cardboard City maze with Tech hacks, and a Scavenger hunt. There’ll be a bike tune-up clinic, Makers Market selling environmentally friendly products, sustainability information tables, performances from local musicians, dancers, and puppeteers, and food vendors.
Treecycle is 100% homegrown – our volunteers work with numerous youth groups in the area to raise awareness of sustainability, give kids the opportunity to work alongside artists and social activists, and become leaders in the their own communities. Some of the groups we’ll be working with this year include, the Green Team from Sanfordville Elementary, the Change Makers Club at the Warwick Middle School, the Teen Advisory Board at the Albert Wisner Public Library, the Youth Leadership Team at the Warwick Valley Community Center, and we continue to reach further and collaborate with other groups in the region.
It’s important to us that Earth Fest is a free public event, open to all. We’re happy to say that Treecycle has been awarded small grants from OC Tourism and OC Arts Council to help out with stipends for artists and promotion. However, we are completely reliant on our sponsors to fund the activities we provide. With your help we can put on a fantastic day of creative fun for all. Please make a tax-deductible donation.
• $50 donation: sponsors receive a screen-printed Earth Festival T-shirt and their name listed as a Friend of Earth Fest on the event page.
• Raffle donation: Basket of locally made or grown items or gift certificates for the Love Local Raffle. Sponsors may include promotional material for display with their basket, have their name listed as a Friend of Earth Fest on the event page, and receive a screen-printed Earth Festival T-shirt
• $100* Sponsor an activity: Sponsors name/logo will be displayed by the activity, their name listed as a Friend of Earth Fest on the event page, and receive a screen-printed Earth Festival T-shirt.
• $200* Sponsor a Tree: Your name/logo on one of our artists’ tree sculptures, name listed as a Friend of Earth Fest on the event page, shout-outs on Earth Fest social media, and receive an Earth Festival T-shirt and Treecycle reusable tote bag.
• $500* and above: Sponsors will be acknowledged in Earth Fest social media and print promotion materials, be listed as a Special Friend of Earth Fest on event page, including logo display, receive 2 Earth Festival T-shirts and a Treecycle reusable tote bag.
* Sponsors of $100 or more may set up an information table free of charge in our information booth area at Treecycle on May 4th.
Please complete the Sponsorship Form and include it with your donation. Checks can be made payable to: Wickham Works Inc.
3 Forester Ave, Unit 8, Warwick, NY 10990. Or you can go to our secure PayPal donation button on our website.
Treecycle at Earth Fest Warwick 2019
100% of donations go toward Earth Day Festival/Treecycle.
Wickham Works Inc. is a 501-c-3. Donations are tax deductible. Keep a copy of this form for your records.
Vendor Application for Treecycle Maker Market
at Earth Fest Warwick 2019 is open!
Click here for a link to the on-line
Vendor application form
Click here if you would rather fill out a
Market Vendor Application hard copy
January 21st, 2019
CALL FOR ARTISTS!
Treecycle is a hands-on community art project and exhibition held in Warwick, New York. Produced by Wickham Works, it is in its 4th year. Orange County artists and community groups are invited to create tree sculptures from material intercepted from the waste stream. These sculptures are displayed at Earth Fest Warwick and other arts events around the county. In 2017 & 2018 Treecycle received funding from the Orange County Arts Council’s Community Arts Grant, providing a stipend for guest artists.
If you would like to be considered as a Treecycle artist for 2019, please submit a short paragraph describing your project idea to Melissa Shaw-Smith at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Deadline, February 15th.
TREECYCLE ARTIST GUIDELINES FOR 2019
Theme: Forest of the Future
• Create a “Tree” sculpture from repurposed material to be installed and exhibited on Saturday, May 4th at Earth Fest Warwick, 10AM-4PM. Sculptures may have an interactive component for viewers.
• Keep a storyboard diary of the project as it evolves, to be displayed alongside you Tree – could be photos, drawings, video, journal etc.
• Be available on Saturday, May 4th to attend Treecycle at Earth Fest.
• Either, help out with one hands-on making workshop with area youth groups between February and April 2019 OR help out at Build-a-Bot at Treecycle, a hands-on making session with Treecycle visitors, using repurposed material.
Creative Director, Wickham Works
More about Earth Fest . . .
Earth Fest Warwick, Saturday, May 4th and Sunday, May 5th, 2019, 10-4PM at Stanley Deming Park, Warwick, 10990.
The two day event celebrating re-use, repair, and re-creating in our community will feature Too Good to Toss, the third annual free community swap, and Treecycle the fourth hands-on, family friendly, arts day using repurposed material.
Too Good To Toss: Warwick town residents may drop off gently used items from a list of acceptable goods to the basketball court on Friday, May 3rd, 5-7PM, and Saturday, May 4th 10AM-4PM. The public is invited to shop for free on Sunday, May 5th, 10AM-4PM.
Treecycle: Saturday, May 4, 10AM-4PM. Hosted by local artists and makers, events include a Bike Repair Café – come get a spring tune-up, upcycled craft demonstrations, a kids Take-apart table and Build-a-bot station, cardboard maze, scavenger hunt, and an exhibition of sculpture “trees” made by local artists and youth groups. There will be a local makers market selling environmentally friendly products, information tables, and food vendors. Local musicians and performers will entertain.